Monday, September 07, 2009

Queen Castle Update

I mentioned in a previous post that I had setup a queen castle with four frames, each containing a few queen cells. This weekend I re-examined the four compartments and sure enough there were queens and a three had eggs.

QC #1: Queen was moving and there were fresh eggs in the comb. I marked her green.

QC #2: Queen was moving and there were fresh eggs as well. Marked her green.

QC #3: Queen was moving, but no eggs. Tried to mark her, but no luck catching her. The lack of eggs has me worried.

QC #4: Queen was moving and there were fresh eggs. Marked her green.

Since it looks like Queen #3 might not be a winner, I removed the divider board between 3 & 4 and I'll let the bees sort out which queen lives. Since I have one marked green and the other not, I will soon find out.

blog comments powered by Disqus